Saturday, April 4, 2020

Birds or Wild Flowers?

 Giant Trillium
After lunch today, just before the rain started again, we took Buster for a dog/bird walk on a section of the Rickreall Creek Trail starting at the Dallas Pickleball Courts.  The first thing that caught my attention was this cluster of Giant Trillium (Tillium chloropetalum).  I used to enjoy taking wild flower photos while hiking long before I became obsessed with birds. Flowers were much easier to photograph as they stand still.

Bushtit
Bushtits were seen in pairs today, indicating that nesting season has started.  Look for their sock-like hanging nests.

Evening Grosbeak
Our friend Mary Coleman commented yesterday on Evening Grosbeaks, as loving "how they holler from the tree top".  We had a bunch of them in the the tree tops today, couldn't figure out at first what was going on. Hard to see with the poor light, but I did get this one photo.

Because I got a lot of possitive feedback today on posting a Trip Journal entry from 2003, I am including a link here for a hike I did on Rickreall Creek five years ago in March of 2015.  As I re-read it today, I was struck how my thoughts then, still ring true today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment