Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 2 for the Pelican

I couldn’t help myself, my curiosity got the best of me, so I made a return trip yesterday to Plat I reservoir to check on the presence of the American White Pelican.  It was there.  It is pretty hard to miss its massive size in outstanding white shows up pretty easily.  In fact, notice for comparison the Great Blue Heron on the right. I’ve done a little more research on pelicans, and am guessing that this was a migrating bird from possible breeding grounds in Canada, and on its way to wintering in southern California or Mexico, and for whatever reason got dropped from the flock in route.  It will be interesting to see how long it hangs around, I may never know, but I do know it was there for two days at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment