Friday, January 5, 2018

Pedro the Great Biue Heron

Pedro is a well known Great Blue Heron here at Cattail Cove State Park.  This morning I happend to witness the whole Pedro and Jimmy thing.  I noticed a man walking along the beach repeatedly saying "keep coming" as he walked to the end of the beach.  I later learned that the man was Jimmy.  The story goes, as Jimmy told me, he found Pedro here 17 years ago injured with a broken wing or leg, I can't remember which.  Jimmy took Pedro to Los Angeles to an animal care center and after 3,000 dollars in medical expenses was able to bring Pedro back here.  When Jimmy returns from his morning's fishing he calls Pedro to the edge of the beach and feeds him some of his catch. Pedro is said to be seen walking through the campground some times, and even making an early morning call at Jimmy's campsite.

No comments:

Post a Comment