Monday, December 7, 2009

First Week


Today marks the end of our first week of work in our volunteer positions at Buckskin Mountain State Park. I’ve hiked the trails for six straight mornings, and to tell the truth, my butt is starting to drag a little, which is a dangerous position in this land of sharp rocks and cacti! I’m not actually complaining. I’ve loved it. In fact each morning it has been hard to wait for daylight to get out on the trail. I only have to walk about two hundred yards from our doorstep to the trailhead. With shovel in hand I head out to clear water bars and look for erosion trouble spots. I’ve also kept an eye out for plant interpretive signs. Some are placed with the wrong plant (trail gremlins), some are placed where there is no plant, and some are just plain missing. We have a total of four trails in our system here and it’s been an enjoyable experience to hike their routes and come to understand the area better.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's cool. I would love to see more photos of the trails and learn more about the local fauna. (hint hint)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks chezzilla, I already have the four major cacti. Simple click on the Wildflowers page and then click on "search" and type "Buckskin" in the Wildflowers box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are having a great time. I'd imagine the weather is warmer there than here, i just saw LaPine was 26 below zero last night! Winter is here.

    ReplyDelete