Monday, March 31, 2014

Return to Winter Weather


Today we found this Winter Wren singing away while birding at Spring Valley Access.  Winter Wrens are now called Pacific Wrens, but I still like the old name because I always associate their song with hiking the dark wet trails of winter, and today definitely felt like winter.  After yesterday’s bright sunshiny morning, I was jazzed up for a repeat, so I was doubly disappointed with today’s cold gray weather. However, we stuck to our plan, and did get out and added one last eBird Hot Spot to my list by birding at Maude Williams State Park, bringing the total to 23 Hot Spots for the month of March. I’m ready for a new month tomorrow and better weather.   

1 comment:

  1. Always liked those little birds. The eastern species is still called the winter wren. When I wanted to get an Internet domain way back in the semi-early days of the Internet winterwren.com was the best name available. Phill V.

    ReplyDelete