Saturday, March 8, 2014

Juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk

I first spotted this juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk high on top of a tree a block away. The tree was a common perching spot for the Merlin when he was around earlier this year. We haven’t seen the Merlin for several weeks now so I’m guessing that he has headed back north for the year. As I was watching this Sharp-shinned through my spotting scope, trying to figure out what it was for sure, and trying to get a photo, it took off and swooped down to perch on a small tree in the neighbor’s yard across the way. Before I could snap off a photo it flew into our yard and into a big rhododendron bush in an effort to get one of our small birds. He was unsuccessful and next flew up into our next door neighbor’s tree where this photo was taken. He looks a little scruffy after his foray through the rhody, but he is after all just a juvenile, and in time I’m sure his attacks will be more successful.    

1 comment:

  1. What a beauty! Love the blue sky in the background as well.

    ReplyDelete