Thursday, December 20, 2012

Workin' with James


Yesterday I finished up my trail work for the season so today I went in search of what I could help out with here in the campground.  I ended up working with James.  I went with him on his garbage pick-up and then we worked at removing mistletoe from the mesquite trees. Although mistletoe berries are an important food source to several birds, particularly Phainopepla, the mistletoe will eventually kill the mesquite trees if not kept in check. At 85 James House is the oldest volunteer here at Buckskin Mountain State Park where he has volunteered for the last five winters.  His great work ethic, sharp wit, calm demeanor, and positive attitude are a real inspiration to me, providing hope that there are still good years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment