Monday, December 24, 2012

Desert Holly


Holly is a part of the Christmas Season right?  So, I thought it would be appropriate to post about Desert Holly, even though it is not actually a holly but only named such because of the shape of its leaves.  Today was possibly our last day to hike the Buckskin trails for the year, so for a special destination I took Jeanette to see some Desert Holly.  For the most part it’s not possible to see Desert Holly in its natural setting here in the park, but a few years ago while exploring off trail I discovered a few hidden ravines that contain a small scattering of Desert Holly. Because Desert Holly plants have either male or female flowers it means that they kind of need a community to ensure their propagation. Jeanette is shown here with one of the very few small young plants. By the way, I took this photo using my new iPod Touch. I continue to be amazed at the great photos the iPod takes.  In fact since getting my iPod I have taken very few photos using my Canon Power Shot camera.  I’ll still use the Canon because of its 35X Zoom for bird photos, but for the rest I’ll be using my iPod. I’m convinced the quality is there and because of its size it will always be in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment