Monday, February 5, 2024

25th Anniversary

 


Today I realized that this month of February marks the 25th anniversary of our retirement! A milestone, that we could not have possibly imagined for sure. 

Within weeks, we had packed up our Toyota RAV4 with our bikes and bags, and took off for Southern California, where my mom spent her winters in a mobile home park at the Salton Sea. We spent several weeks there sleeping in her screened-in front porch. We took daily morning walks with her and learned new species of birds.  We hiked the Chocolate Mountains at her doorstep.  We took a week's bicycle tour of Imperial County, circling the Salton Sea. The above photo is us leaving on that tour.

Eventually we made it back home to Salem, I guess.  Now, I'm not sure what we did next, but by September I know we put our bikes on the train, stopping for lunch in Lacey Washington at my sister Rachel's home, and then started pedaling north to Canada and then down the coast to the Mexican border. We were in love with adventure, and it has continued to dominate our life.      

No comments:

Post a Comment