Thursday, July 20, 2023

Thursday's Bird Watch


This is the third Thursday in a row that I am featuring the Cooper's Hawks of the Dallas City Park.  It has been an amazing experience to follow their growth from the helpless downy chicks I reported on July 6th to the fierce hunters I am reporting today, July 20th.  Last week I reported that the three chicks would be hanging around for the next month to be fed by their parents.  It was what I had read, but these juveniles proved that wrong.  When we arrived at the park on Sunday July 16th, we found them actively hunting on their own.  They were busy chasing after squirrels and birds.  This photo shows the fierce determination of this juvenile as it defends and devours its catch of a Black-capped Chickadee.  Parents are not needed; these guys are on their own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment