Monday, August 22, 2022

Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbirds


 I was having a low-energy afternoon. I had been trying to pep myself up with a cookie and a cup of coffee and was trying to wade through "Thank You for Your Servitude", a somewhat entertaining book about Trump's ability to kick people under the bus once they had served his purpose. I took a break to stand out on our second-floor balcony, and suddenly caught a glimpse of some bird activity below in the Central Courtyard.  I stepped back inside and grabbed my camera and started taking photos, thirty-two in all. To my surprise, I had a couple of juvenile Brown-headed Cowbirds at my feeder. To understand my excitement, you need to know that Brown-headed Cowbirds do not make a nest of their own, they are unique in the birding world of laying their eggs in another bird's nest.  Of course, the next question becomes, who's nest did these juveniles come from.  Hummingbirds, White-crowned Sparrows, and Dark-eyed Juncos have all had nests in this courtyard, and I did notice an adult male junco acting parental in the same area. I'll probably never know, but my brain was stimulated, and my normally energy has returned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment