Monday, April 11, 2022

The Village Birders

I confess to a personality fault; I turn a hobby into an almost full-time job. I've done that with numerous hobbies most of my life; fishing, hiking, bicycling, and now birding. When Jeanette and I moved to the Dallas Retirment Village in January of 2020, I brought with me my hobby / job of birding. I continued to count and photograph birds.  That led to publishing photos of birds with a short description in our resident newsletter, now called Looking Ahead. Next, I started leading bird walks in our retirement facility for interested residents, and called the group, The Village Birders. That branched out to visiting close by local parks, and then, Dallas Retirement Village provided a bus and driver which allowed us to travel to neighboring towns and parks and enjoy different birding opportunities.   

The above photo (click on image) is from last week of The Village Birders getting ready to board the bus for the Salem Riverfront Park, in our first Birding Bus Tour of the season. During the next three months we will visit six different parks to seek out and identify birds. It's part birdwatching, and part social, as Jeanette always provides treats. 

Below is a photo of a Bald Eagle on her nest, photographed from Salem Riverfront Park by trip participant Del Warren. 


        
 

No comments:

Post a Comment