Saturday, September 10, 2016

For The Record

I am guessing that some readers may think that all I take photos of are birds.  For the record, I do take photos of other wildlife. This native Western Pond Turtle is one of a half dozen or so that we saw today while birding at Row River Nature Park in Cottage Grove. They are always a joy to see because they are now a Threatened Species.  An invasive species of turtles call Red-sliders, which have been introduced by careless pet owners are out producing them.

Also for the record there is one other thing I need to get off my chest, and that is my motive to keep posting to my blog - it is for our own record. A lot of my time is spent on posting to the Internet on a couple of other sites.  I daily post to e-Bird in an effort to help with citizen science and maintain my own records. And of course Facebook has made it extremely easy to post anything. But with Facebook it is hard to be able to look at past posts in any kind of organized fashion. You say what you want to say, and it's available for the moment, and then it is lost into the mishmash of Facebook. With my blog, it's pretty easy for me to find a past post either by date or subject. In fact Jeanette and I often use my blog to find out what was going on in our life in years past.  In other words, it is a log of what we have done and where we have gone; our record.  Despite the number of posts in my blog dropping the past couple of months, I am determined to keep posting,  just for our own record.  I do recieve a lot of enjoyment from the feed-back I get from my readers.  But over time it has become evident to that the most important reason I post is for my own record.

3 comments:

  1. Keep posting! I comment sporadically, because I usually read only every week or two, but then I look at several.

    Personally, I'm making a point of keeping my own copy of my posts just in case they no longer are available on the internet. I find I often refer back to an old one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elva, I always appreciate your comments. Jeanette and I oftern speak of how you and Dale are such great role models for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up on us, Jim. I'm sure a lot of people look but say nothing. Endure, my friend!

    ReplyDelete