Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Promise of Spring

For the last two mornings while taking a morning bird walk I have been surprised with how both mornings have reminded me a little bit of spring.  This is despite the fact that the temps are in the mid forties. I think it’s the sound of the birds starting to sing a little more that have queued up this feeling.  Robins are in abundance, I conservatively counted 35 this morning, but there was another song I picked up at several locations that I failed to find and identify. As I neared the front driveway to Salem Towne on my circular route I heard it again clear and distinct.  Crossing the street to Hans and Margaret’s font yard I was surprised to find this Song Sparrow.  It was oblivious to my presence and continued to sing on. Who would guess that the all so common Song Sparrow could bring me such joy? I am reminded of the poem of Emily Dickinson—   
            Hope is the thing with feathers -
            That perches in the soul -
            And sings the tune without the words - 
            And never stops at all -

1 comment: