Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Rufous Hummingbird


Today I finally got a photo of a male Rufous Hummingbird at our feeder. I have been seeing it daily since the afternoon of March 8th, which is the day I took and posted a photo of Anna’s Hummingbird at the same feeder.  Turns out it was the last day for the Anna’s.  In other words ever since the Rufous has arrived, the Anna’s has gone missing.  The intriguing thing to me about this is that the Anna’s, a slightly larger bird and a year around resident, gets chased away by the Rufous who has just flown in after wintering in the tropics. The female Rufous is supposed to follow in a couple of weeks.  You can bet I will be watching closely, and because of my successful experience of watching nesting hummingbirds in Lake Havasu last month, I will be trying my best to find a nest to watch here in Elkton. 

2 comments: