Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Back to Removing English Ivy

I'm back to removing English Ivy.   For the last two years I have volunteered at the Salem Audubon Nature Reserve.  One of my tasks has been working on the removal of Ivy, but now I feel it's time for me to turn my attention and energy to fighting the Ivy at Darrow Bar.  Darrow Bar is a property of Oregon State Parks and an access point of the Willamette Greenway.  Ivy, once planted to enhance garden landscaping has escaped and become a terrible invasive vine that left unchecked will climb trees and literally kill the tree. We use nearby Darrow Bar on a regular basis to walk and bird, so it's a place near and dear to my heart so to speak. It feels good to give back to a place we get so much from. My self assigned task is to "girdle" an affected tree, that is to say, cut all the ivy from a section of the tree, shutting off the life blood that feeds the towering vines. It's a beautiful thing to come back and see the dying vines high up in a huge tree and think I probably have saved that tree from what would be it's inevitable death.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your hard work at this very important job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a double win---I get some needed physical exercise while preforming a service.

    ReplyDelete