Thursday, April 2, 2015

Downy Woodpecker


On Wednesdays when I volunteer at the Salem Audubon Nature Reserve, I sometimes go an hour early to get in some birding before starting work.  Yesterday, my friend John West joined me and we got in some quality time finding and photographing birds and wild flowers.  Right away we noticed the male Osprey perched on the same tree he used last year across the street from the nesting platform.  (I'm assuming it's the same bird).  Some other highlights were a bright colored Red-breasted Sapsucker, some busy Black-capped Chickadees, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the seed feeder.  My best photo of the day was this male Downy Woodpecker.  The smallest of the Woodpecker Family, they are also probably the most commonly seen outside of the Northern Flicker. They are always a joy to watch and seem to tolerate being photographed fairly well.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a pleasant day of volunteering. I look forward to your photos of these colorful guys and the osprey action shots!

    ReplyDelete