Sunday, July 22, 2012

Nesting Suprise


For the most part nesting is over here at Collier Memorial State Park.  In the last month we have seen Black-backed Woodpecker’s nest empty, the same for the Osprey, Robin’s, Tree Swallows, and Western Bluebirds.  Even the big populations of Cliff and Barn Swallows that nest under the bridge are greatly diminished. So, you might imagine my surprise when I found this NorthernFlicker's nest yesterday afternoon.  When I took the photo I thought I could see only one young bird in the cavity, but if you will look closer, you will notice that there are two bills lined up in order.  This morning I stopped for a long time and watched the male feed the young, and was able to count two male juveniles and one female juvenile, so at least a total of three young ones are inside the nest. My guess would be due to the lateness of the season that this is possible a second brood this year for these flickers.

1 comment:

  1. Donaldsville LarryJuly 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

    Sometimes those flickers get 'randy' enough to put forth a second brood. What gluttons for punishment!! Great photo, once again, Ansel! (PS Have you tried black and white? Just curious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete