Monday, April 22, 2013

Powers County Park


Jeanette is shown birding at the huge pond in Powers County Park yesterday afternoon.  We had pleasant memories of camping here years ago, in the mid-nineties when Jeanette and I were on a fall bicycling tour. We had started in Coos Bay and cycled down the coast to Gold Beach, up the Rogue River to Agnes, over the top and down to Powers, and then returning to Coos Bay. My folks had joined us for a few days in their RV, camping with us at Agnes, Powers, and Bandon.  The pleasant memories of that trip influenced my decision to return here to camp and bird. I was shocked to discover that the twisty winding road to and from the isolated community of Powers is no place for a man my age to be driving a RV. I was passed by an empty logging truck, and a full one wanted to run right over the top of me. In short, we will probably never return. We did have a brighter spot in the day yesterday with a morning stop in Coquille and a very pleasant walk and birding experience on the Coquille Riverwalk.  This one will be a return destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment