Thursday, March 21, 2024

Thursday's Bird Watch

 


While on a bird walk here at Dallas Retirement Village on Saturday morning this past week, I heard a loud drumming sound, possibly coming from the large aluminum streetlight pole at the corner of Tilgner and Brentwood, but I could not see it.  I suspected it was a Northern Flicker, well known for their antics in Spring when they drum out loudly on metal roof flashing and rain gutters to impress the fairer sex.   Luckily for me, DRV resident Joyce Pelo came by walking her little dog, and she spotted it on the shady side of the street sign.  Much to my surprise it was this little Red-breasted Sapsucker! Although I have heard and seen Northern Flickers many times making this loud drumming sound, never before have I seen and heard the much smaller Red-breasted Sapsucker.  I hope he is successful in attracting a mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment