Tuesday, November 24, 2020

American Pipit


Yesterday morning we took another driving tour of Livermore Road and I was able to photograph this American Pipit along with other species which you can see in our list with additional photos here.  The American Pipit is a small sparrow sized bird, and a winter migrant here in the Willamette Valley.  In adding this photo to the Critters section of Cascade Ramblings, Jeanette and I remembered that our very first sighting of an American Pipit was in Arizona on the lower Colorado River at Buckskin Mountain State Park.  It was during a bird walk that I was leading as a Park Volunteer.  Even though I was leading the group, I had no idea what we were seeing.  Luckily we had an experienced birder in the group who politely suggested it was an American Pipit. It took some digging but I was able to find that date was January 24, 2011.  I did not get a photo that day, but have since photographed American Pipits in a variety of locations.  Here is the link to the Critters page of Cascade Ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment