Monday, June 15, 2015

Excuse Me!

"Excuse me, can't you see I'm having my lunch here"?  That's what I think this Osprey seems to be saying in this photo.  If you think Osprey only fish in lakes and fresh water rivers, here is proof to the contrary. I watched this Osprey take this fish right out of the ocean.  Lack of a "necklace" would indicate this is a male, and although the male does all the fishing for the female once she is on the nest, this one is gobbling up the fish right here on the beach.  I guess the other possibility is that he doesn't have a mate, or maybe he will share the next one, but I watched him make two successful catches which he ate while still on the beach.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I would have loved to watch an Ocean catch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or ANY catch, for that matter...I'm with MaryLou! You certainly seem to have the "right place, right time" gene, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great 'catch' on your part as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry and all-----I thought I was in the right place and the right time, but when I got back to the parking lot where Jeanette was I found out I had missed out on seeing a Long-tailed Weasel kill and carry off a Brush Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes we forget that "nature" is all about survival of the fittest, and all about keeping fed. Still, all in all, it's pretty cool to be able to watch life unfold!

    ReplyDelete