Friday, May 1, 2015

Pileated Woodpecker

This photo was taken yesterday while on a bird walk at Wallace Marine Park in West Salem.  We were just starting to come out of a deep forested area near the ball field when we heard some loud noises.  Jeanette said, "What was that noise?"  I replied that I thought it was from the construction crew near the bleachers in the ball field. Although doubtful, she went along with the explanation.  Just on the rare possibility it was a Pileated Woodpecker I started to look closer at a couple of big cottonwood trees, and then I saw it. Because the Pileated Woodpecker is the largest of the Woodpecker Family it makes quite an impression when you see one.  I still remember the first time I saw one on a hike deep in the coast range even though it was close to 40 years ago. Jeanette and I have heard Pileated before in Wallace but this is the first time we have actually seen one.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story and photo. Thanks for sharing on your website.

    ReplyDelete