Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Feeding Bushtits

Back on April 17th I did a post on a Nesting Surprise we discovered at the Salem Audubon Nature Reserve. The volunteer weeding crew found a strange hanging nest, and I recognized it and photographed a pair of Bushtits. In the days and weeks afterward after not seeing any activity I became convinced that the nest had been abandoned. Then today as John West and I were seeking out birds at the Reserve we spotted some Bushtits.  We continued to try and get some photos, and in the process I realized that we were in the very area of the nest I assumed was abandoned. I took John to see the nest, and much to our surprise and good fortune we got to observe the Bushtits coming and going from the nest in the process of feeding young ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment