Saturday, February 1, 2014

Peregrine Falcon

The surprise sighting of this Peregrine Falcon overshadows my hesitancy to post such a poor photo. I stopped yesterday to check out the very small Pioneer Park in Independence.  When I got out of the car the first thing I heard where a couple of Crows.  Then I spotted three European Starlings high in a tree, and heard a Steller’s Jay.  As I walked down to Ash Creek I picked up the insistent cooing of a Eurasian Collard-dove.  All these bird are ones that I would expect to find in such an urban setting.  At the creek I added a Black-capped Chickadee, a Western Scrub Jay, and a signing Ruby-crowned Kinglet, all nice birds but not unexpected.  Across the creek, high in a distant tree I spotted the silhouette of a bird. Looking at it closer with my binoculars I could not make an identification, but it did look like some kind of hawk.  Out came my trusty camera with the 50x zoom, and after several photos I checked the review screen and zoomed in even closer,   VoilĂ ---a Peregrine Falcon, not at all what I was expecting in this wooded urban area. Afterwards I put together the fact the Monmouth-Independence Sewage Ponds with a large supply of wintering ducks was not that far to the west of the park.  Peregrine Falcons are known to take advantage of such locations. 

4 comments:

  1. Donaldsville LarryFebruary 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM

    An absolutely awesome hunter, prized by falconers for millennia. I've read stories about the uneasy truce between a falconer and his bird of prey, of which the Peregrine is supposed to be the King of the Falcons. Nice long distance shot, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry, it was a long ways off for sure.

      Delete
  2. Great shot for such a distance! Worth posting. Exciting find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you decided to post this picture. That's not something you get to see everyday.

    ReplyDelete