Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Starting the New Year Right



On this first day of 2014, I again joined in with a group of 1st Day Hikers, a nation-wide program in America’s State Parks. Last year in Arizona, I co-led the hike at Lake Havasu State Park. This year I went on the hike at Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area, a relatively new and almost totally unknown Oregon State Park, located along the Willamette River between the towns of Independence and Albany.  It was one of twenty five Oregon State Parks participating in the national event. I choose it because of its close proximity and the natural setting which we have enjoyed in the past for hiking and birding.  I had no idea how many people would show up on the cold foggy morning, perhaps, I would be the only one.  I missed that a mile, fifty two hikers showed up! Fifty two people are a bit much for my style, but it was great to see so many people interested in hiking.  It was also a good opportunity to net-work and reconnect with hiking.


Update 1/9/14: Oregon Department of Parks and Recreation announced that 943 people participated at 30 parks on this January 1st event. 

3 comments:

  1. That looks like quite a gathering. We spent the day indoors but I did get a picture of a beautiful varied thrush through the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a amazing place to hike. There is a north & south unit, so combined make up a lot of acres. You can see more information in my website in the Destination section and the Trip Journal as well as the blog.

    ReplyDelete