Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Good Thing or A Bad Thing

Good intentions do not necessarily lead to good results.  I offer this example.  While working in the Information Center here at Buckskin State Park, I have my computer running and use my Verizon MiFi for my Internet connection.  Jeanette and I have felt sorry for campers who have stopped by and don’t have any Internet service themselves.  We discussed it, and we though it would be a nice service to share our Internet connection.  After all, our MiFi can serve five computers at the same time.  So, we did it for a day and everything went well, several people used our MiFi to check their e-mail and connect with family back home.  That evening when I got home and logged on to my computer, I started have problems with some kind of virus.  Thursday morning I took my computer into Lake Havasu City to a computer repair store.  Friday I got the report back that the computer had 770 viruses and that they thought it would not be worth the expense to repair, and that I would be better off to replace the computer.  There is no way of knowing how I got the viruses, I understand it would be possible but unlikely that it was transferred from an infected computer though our MiFi. To shorten up the story, tonight I am posting this blog on my new Toshiba laptop. I won’t be sharing our Internet connection any more just to be safe.  On the other hand I now have a new computer. It has three times the capacity, cost half as much as my old one did 5 years ago, and has all the keys (my old one was missing 3 keys). So, now I ask, is that a bad thing or a good thing?

2 comments:

  1. A Good Thing AND a Bad Thing!!
    Sorry & Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway, I would also recommend starting out on your new laptop.

    ReplyDelete