Thursday, October 3, 2024

Thursday's Bird Watch !

 
Last week while the Village Birders were riding the bus to the Emile Marx - Lloyd Strange Fishing Hole, a number of large birds were spotted in the field along Rogers Road.  I recognized them as unusual enough that I asked Lane to turn the bus around and go back to get a closer look.  There were four birds, two of which were clearly Red-tailed Hawks. Unsure of the other two I took this photo, guessing they might be Rough-legged Hawks. When I got home and downloaded the photos into my laptop, I realized that I was wrong.  After more checking and scrutiny, I settled on the light morph of a Red-tailed Hawk, and specifically because of the total white breast, a juvenile.  This bird is so unusual that it has been ten years since I have photographed a juvenile light-morph Red-tail Hawk.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment