Thursday, March 2, 2023

Best Bird Walk

Townsend's Warbler

Jeanette and I have a moto we often repeat to ourselves, "the best bird walks are the ones we go on". Meaning, in order to have a great bird walk, you have to actually go on one. This was the case yesterday.  When I went outside early in the morning to check on the van (I run the furnace at night to keep the water system from freezing) I was surprised to discover bright warm sunshine without the bitter cold wind we have been experiencing daily.  Back inside our apartment I announced to Jeanette great weather conditions and suggested that we get out and go for a bird walk! I would cancel my plans to attend my 9:00 Tai Chi class. It turned out to be the right decision and we enjoyed the warm sunshine and busy bird activity despite the 30 some degree temperature. You can see our bird list here.  

One of the highlights of our morning was getting this photo of a female Townsends Warbler. The bright contrasting yellow and black coloring of this winter migrant always brings a smile to our faces. We only get to see this warble about one a year here and Dallas Retirement Village, and this was actually the first time for a photo.     

No comments:

Post a Comment