Sunday, January 29, 2023

Short-billed Gull


 When Jeanette and I were at the Monmouth Wastewater Treatment Plant two days ago looking for the Field Sparrow, we also counted a great number of birds on the water, and most noticeable were three Short-billed Gulls.  This became a very intriguing bird to me.  To begin with, none of dozen or so bird guides I have, listed a Short-billed Gull.  It was only after using the Internet to search e-Bird and related sources that I discovered that in 2021 the name of the Mew Gull was changed to Short-billed Gull. It's not a gull we see here in the Willamette Valley that much, only in winter as it hangs out here while away from its summer breeding grounds in Alaska.

2 comments:

  1. The change threw me off also. last year I was trying to enter Mew Gull in my ebird list and it wasn't appearing. I had to go back to old submissions to find that the name changed! Same issue I had when they changed Gray Jay to Canada Jay!

    ReplyDelete