Monday, December 23, 2013

"Whitey" the Song Sparrow

I was setting at the window this afternoon reading about sparrows when Whitey flew up to the suet feeder. I was reminded that I had posted a photo of him before.  I had to look it up, but it was the post of December 3rd. The photo in today’s post was actually taken back on November 21st, so you get the idea; we have been keeping track of him for a while.  Whitey got his name from the unusual “white collar” look to his plumage that makes him easy to recognize. We see him daily, or at the least three or four times a week.  It’s not often you get to see the same bird consistently enough to name it, in fact I think Whitey is the first one we have ever named. We see lots of Juncos daily, but never have a clue if they are the same ones or different ones. Whitey we recognize and it’s kind of fun. Pictured below is a normal looking  Song Sparrow for comparison. 

No comments:

Post a Comment