Monday, August 19, 2013

Just Another Heron

Oh, it’s just another Great Blue Heron; it’s such an easy trap to fall into. Reminds me of the common saying, “If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen em all”.  And that’s kind of what I was thinking this morning when we were birding along Beaver Creek at Ona Beach State Park. But, because it was one of the easier birds to photograph, I decided to see if I couldn’t get maybe a better one than the great number I already have.  To my surprise, when I got home and down loaded them into my laptop and started looking closely, I realized this bird was different, and after checking found I had a juvenile.  Looking closely revealed that it lacked the white strip on the head of an adult, had stripes all along the neck, and lacked the bearded plumes on the back and chest. Although I’ve taken photos of many adult birds, to my knowledge this is the first juvenile Great Blue Heron. I hope it was an important lesson learned.  

2 comments:

  1. Jim, that saying (one of Dad's favorite jokes, btw), came about when one person was explaining to another that there were no differences between twin boys by saying, "When you've seen Juan, you've seen Ahmal!" (You're welcome, and please stop shaking your head in disbelief!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Larry, that's one I hadn't heard.

    ReplyDelete