Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Red-shouldered Hawk

I have been hearing this bird for the last three days, and it’s been driving me a little crazy.  The first day I only heard it, but could not quite remember what it was.  The second day I got a quick glimpse of it and recognized it as a Red-shouldered Hawk.  We became very familiar with the Red-shouldered Hawk last winter in two different locations in California, San Lorenzo Park in King City, and El Chorro Park in San Luis Obispo. It has a very distinct call of a series of high clear notes. Today just as I was stepping out the door to take Buster for his walk, I heard the call, and then saw the hawk fly to a tree where I was able to identify it for sure and get this photo even though it’s not the greatest. I’m thrilled to be able to add it to my Douglas County sightings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment