Monday, July 12, 2010

In Search of the Snowy Plover

The beach areas that we commonly hike along the Central Oregon Coast have lots of signs and boundaries to protect the nesting Snowy Plover. But, we never see them. I have photographed lots of little shore birds, but closer examination at home with the computer and bird guides always identify my sighting as Sanderlings. Yesterday while hiking the beach I glanced at a flock of birds on the wet sand and with my binoculars noted the long bills and thought, more Sanderlings. But wait, there are two birds that are different and remind me more of Killdeers. They must be the elusive Snowy Plover. I snapped as many photos as I could get, and was quite happy as we drove home thinking I had at last photographed the Snowy Plover. However, when I got home and looked closely to make a positive identification, I was quite surprised to discover that what I had photographed was a Semipalmated Plover! The Snowy is still at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment