Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Boots ???


I know it’s an ugly photo, but it was impossible to completely hide my disappointment, frustration, and anger at discovering I had left my hiking boots at home. My only option was to hike in, well I’m embarrassed to say,-----my slippers. This was another of my trail surveying trips, this one to the Parker Falls Trail. I discovered my mistake at Cottage Grove and then spent the next 29 miles fuming at my situation. Arriving at the trailhead, it was not only raining, but I noticed snow was mixed in with the rain----Grrrrrr. I put on my rain hat, raincoat, and rain pants, and padded off in my slippers, sans vibram soled, Gor-tex lined, ankle-supporting boots. But at the end of the day, my lungs filled with cold fresh air, my heart pumping blood to all my muscles, my system seem purged of all poison toxins and I felt close to normal again. The worst? My toes are a little tender today.

5 comments:

  1. WHO is this hiker??? Certainly NOT someone I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newsflash:

    APPROACHING BDAY BRINGS OUT THE KID IN HIM
    man hikes 10 snowy miles in his slippers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of adversity comes excellence. Thanks Dad, this is by far one of your best posts! I think it is the personal nature of it. Your narrative is lifted by the descriptive, personal anguish. Let's hope the next post is equally intimate, but from a perspective of joy!

    Love,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, to put your head down and hike in your slippers-Dude you are a stud!

    Love,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, you're making my day.

    ReplyDelete